Introducing...the Source Workbook!

I am delighted to introduce to you to the Source Workbook. A whole new way to learn about using a framework to build websites with RapidWeaver and Stacks!

The Workbook is packed full of useful information including:

• a full reference manual (every single setting in every Source stack is detailed!)
  • information about getting properly set up to start building web sites with RW/Stacks
  • numerous step-by-step tutorials and projects to learn about working with a framework

Early bird pricing

The Workbook is still being added to and I have a few more chapters that I want to add. Itā€™s already packed full of useful information though (in well over 100 pages) and so I am releasing it for an ā€˜early birdā€™ discounted price. All early birds will get every update as I add more content and more chapters.

Here are a list of the completed chapters:

• Setup: Overview of setting up RapidWeaver, Stacks and Source for the best possible workflow
  • Source: Stacks and Settings: Detailed information about every Source stack and setting
  • Projects - Introduction and Setup: Introduction to how the projects work and the setting up of the ā€˜stylingā€™ stacks that will be used
  • Projects 1 - Fundamentals: Introductory level projects and tutorials to learn the basics and key concepts

These chapters are in development / planned:

• Projects 2 - Advanced layouts: Medium level projects and tutorials to look mainly at using our powerful Grid Plus stacks
  • Projects 3 - Coder and CSS: Advanced level projects and tutorials to take more control of the design and coding yourself
  • Going beyond the design: A look at optimisations we can make for better performance and SEO
  • Making the site live: Information about getting your site published and available

Find out more

Thanks,
Stuart

p.s. The workbook is available via our brand new (Rapidweaver-built!) RapidWeaver Academy site. More information about this will be shared very soon. All accounts from the previous system will be migrated across (so if you get the Workbook now then try to use the same email as your existing Academy account so that the workbook and all of your courses will be tied together in the same account).

p.p.s. If you have not yet tried out Source then this is an especially great time to do so. To celebrate the launch our Source Addon stacks are currently available at 30% off (use the code source-wb).

10 Likes

Great idea and a very complete way of providing everything you need to know to build great websites with RW and Stacks.

I hope it will be an actual book as I would like nothing more that to see this on my desk, but assume itā€™s a downloadable ā€œbookā€.

3 Likes

It is a PDF for now but I would love a copy on my desk too! Will definitely consider it once the final chapters are in place.

4 Likes

Check out your email. The message provides your new credentials.

2 Likes

Thank you Stuart, just what I needed :-)

Kind Regards

1 Like

Apologies for the confusion. There have been a couple of platforms that I have used for the Academy site - neither of which i have been particularly happy with. This new one has now been fully built by me in RW and i think it will work great. Iā€™ll share more details on it shortly.

iā€™ll be migrating the accounts across from the old site in the next couple of days. If you have a new account (by purchasing the Workbook) and use the same address as the previous academy site then everything should tie up in the end!

After reading through the Source Workbook for a few minutes, it is obvious that this is must have been a huge amout of effort and it really shows. The Workbook takes documented help and guidance to a new level for RW Stacks users and IMHO is exactly what is needed to support new and existing RW users.

Stuartā€™s skillset is unique among RW Stacks developers in that he is not just a skilled code developer, but he is also a skilled graphics and web designer and has a real talent when it comes to documentation.

5 Likes

Yes - is a bit of a work in progress.

I am still getting used to Sitelok - which is what Iā€™m using for the access controls. Everyone should have access to the Lawyer course now. Iā€™ll try and get access to the Vista course added asap for those that have it. Coder course will be a bit later as i havenā€™t migrated all of that content over yet.

Yep: Source: Lawyer | Academy

That one isnā€™t available again yet but it will be made automatically available to whoever already purchased it when it gets added.

Thanks Stuart - Just what I wanted. It looks great. Canā€™t wait to get started

1 Like

Thanks all. Really appreciate the comments!

Quick question for those that have itā€¦

The published version was exported as ā€˜spreadsā€™ - which stitches 2 pages side-by-side. I did this as some pages have content that goes across both pages. Would you prefer if it was single pages (which you can still opt to display as 2 pages wide in most PDF readers)? Or happy as is? Or would like both options?

PDF format
  • Spreads (2 pages)
  • Single pages
  • Both options

0 voters

Great work, Thanks!

1 Like

My vote for Spreads (2 pages)
(didnā€™t find anything clickable to directly submit my vote)

1 Like

thanks @wolf - the poll seems to have automatically closed itself. Iā€™ve opened it again for now.

Thanks Stuart, just voted. :-)

Not liking the way this is going. The ā€˜both optionsā€™ one with 0 votes looks like it will be the winner :)

1 Like

I like it just the way it is, as it provides an open book view of 2 pages which is perfect to view on a monitor. It also lends itself to easily print off 2 pages to stick onto the wall above your monitor, such as:

2 Likes

If it was published as single pages there is still a way (in most PDF readers and Preview) to display 2 pages like that. Here is the setting in PDF Expert:

2021-09-17_09-31-24

I think for people that work on laptops single pages is definitely a better option. And for those with a larger screen can opt to display however they like. Am leaning towards the pages view myself nowā€¦

1 Like

I tried it on iPad so I could read it and follow on the iMac. For this, single page works better.

1 Like