Launch Limelight Map from link inside OpenStreet Map Stack?

Ah I see. Well, thats what I told you already.

All HTML will be generated via JavaScript. Only the first marker automatically “pop’s up” (so that the HTML is available for Limelight to grab).

The second marker and it’s link class will only available inside the HTML markup when you press the marker. And then, the initialisation of Limelight is already done.

Don’t really understand what you mean… But are we saying it’s not going to work with ll?

If @tav does not have another idea (eventing?), no.

Ah well, shit happens. I really do appreciate you doing the update though.

I’ll revert to Plan b.

:-)

Not unless there is an event fired by the link being activated that I can pick up on and use to trigger a re-bind of the newly applied classes but it all seems to be getting a bit over the top.

I could add that - just for the joy of it.

Yep.

Na.

1 Like

@Jannis @steveb Would it not be easier to use direct URLs using OSM coordinates that open an OSM map in a new page, for each map pin link?

Sure. I think @steveb just loves the limelight effect.

1 Like

And send the users we’ve worked hard to get onto our site to someone eases? Nah! The whole point of the approach I’d initially adopted was to wherever possible keep users on the site, not redirect them away.

I appreciate that ultimately users will most likely click the “view full map” link, but it’s all about retention.

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood what you meant: Yes, that could work. But really, the user will want a Google map, not OSM. Plus, it adds complication to the navigation, as in, getting them back to the original page from the individual map page.

Limelight is the perfect tool for the task of putting a map in front on the user and potentially keeping them on the site. it would have been cool to integrate it with OSM the way I’d hoped, as the end result is a really slick setup. Add in additional pages makes it less slick and more clunky.

Then make each pin link to a local page with an embedded map.

I agree that a modal solution would have been an elegant solution.

1 Like

See my edit above. Individual pages is too clunky.

My plan B gets close to perfect, so it’ll do grand.

Ex Pats love clunk.

Expats, as I’m discovering, after mixing with them for a while now, love nothing. They hate everything and everyone. Except Brexit. They LOVE brexit, without a hint of irony.

“Plan B” now live.

Use Poster.

1 Like

Funny, I was just thinking that myself!

Assume when as you said to use Poster, a Poster item can be launched by a OSM pin?

Also just tried to use UIkit3 instead of LL, but it needs to a data attribute thingie on the link…

The Modal component consists of an overlay, a dialog and an optional close button. You can use any element to toggle a modal dialog. To enable the necessary JavaScript, add the uk-toggle attribute. An <a> element needs to be linked to the modal’s id. If you are using another element, like a button, just add the uk-toggle="target: #ID" attribute to target the id of the modal container.

I think though, I’d have to say, after having a play with a few different setups, Limelight trumps all in this instance. As in, I’m not going to find a workaround that means dropping LL, as it’s just too perfect a tool for this task.

I think perhaps linking OSM markers to Poster could be a great option to display other data, for instance, information on an area, but not a map, at least a Google map, which is what most users will want to use.

@Jannis If Poster items can be launched from an OSM marker tell me how, and I will almost definitely use it for localised info.

Use the Permalink of a Poster Item?

1 Like

Oh yes, I’ll give that a try later.

That could be a really nice addition to the map page. Use the main content area to display the maps. Then OSM and poster to display useful info for each area.

I’ll get a play with it again later.

@Jannis

An interesting experiment: https://www.guidebookspain.com/info/

Couple of issues though, which I suspect make it a non-starter…

I’ve setup two regions, Costa Brava and Costa Blanca. Click either and the page reloads with the map and the content below. All seems to work well, except the map always defaults to the first marker, which is Costa Blanca.

So, when viewing costs Blanca the active pin is Costa Blanca, so all makes sense. But, when view Costa Brava the active pin is still costa Blanca, which is confusing.

But for sure, the concept it there. Not sure what the solution is, suspect there isn’t one.

Edit: One solution is that when the page loads with the poster item content, no pins are active. Doable?

Edit No.2. Poss solution is to leave Marker 1 empty? Which raises it’s own issues, as I’ve ten regions and only ten markers!