"Platform" by J. Barth: Another freeform framework

You are ríght. However, I added js based features where necessary. Otherwise lots of functionality would not be possible.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your support! Greatly appreciated.

It’s there - and not ;-)

Set the Desktop breakpoint to a really high value and voilà.

But maybe a good idea to make it more obvious through a switch…

Thanks!

1 Like

Perhaps depending on your location, the Paddle checkout is not always the same.
First time round, I missed the tiny ‘Add Coupon’

I had a look in the UK and the Add Coupon is not there.

Still kicking myself for not snapping this up.

Yep, it’s still there, at least for me anyway. It is now way less prominent than when i purchased yesterday, I assume because the available codes have all been used.

The “Add Coupon” is always there and only visible after entering the email address (what I don’t like).

Now it is there but the display I see is different. I see a large full with coupon button that was not there when I looked.

Maybe some more coupons have been made available? Maybe get in with an order pronto?

EDIT: Maybe not, maybe Paddle is just a bit fecked.

This from the product page…

It looks like the 50% off deal is still on, and I’d say it’s worth it.

I thought that I didn’t need another Framework but as I am digging through the documentation, this looks like a very full featured set of clever and well put together stacks.

The Timeline and Steps are pretty cool.

Being able to set your own multiple breakpoints is a killer feature and there seems to be Class boxes in the advanced settings. So this is powerful.

I also see there is support for FA5 symbols.

I couldn’t see a slider and the Contact form looked like a fixed basic one which will probably meet most peoples requirement.

Overall, it is a fantastic looking new framework that’s well documented, that has just appeared from nowhere.

Right now this addresses my main gripes with the 2 other frameworks I use.

@juergenbarth I have some specific question:
Is there a slider?
Also is there a grid?
In the column stack is there a height EQ and flex alignment?
Can you use flex alignment for the button bar?
If you use FA5 symbols, do any FA4 symbols get loaded and used or will the FA5 versions be used?
Also, the Level stack Example looks like there is an alignment issue on Safari, with the numbers drawn on top of the text.

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind words.

Just to quickly answer your questions:
Is there a slider? - No, it is still under development
Also is there a grid? - Do you mean like the “Block Grid” in Foundation? Yes but I decided not to publish it right now because its behaviour was confusing. It still needs some work
In the column stack is there a height EQ and flex alignment? - Yes, I will update the documentation to show and explain the settings.
Can you use flex alignment for the button bar? - Yes, I will update the documentation to show and explain the settings
If you use FA5 symbols, do any FA4 symbols get loaded and used or will the FA5 versions be used? - No, we only load FA5. If you want to use the FA4 symbols, you have to use the shims as explained in the FA documentation (https://fontawesome.com/how-to-use/on-the-web/setup/upgrading-from-version-4#shims)

I fixed the alignment issue on the Level page (at least it looks proper now on my laptop in Safari and Chrome). Thanks for pointing this out!

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words, Steve!

1 Like

It looks pretty neat to me.

1 Like

A few minutes ago, I posted the (admittedly late :-) ) launch announcement over at the rapidweavcercommunity forum.

I would kindly ask you to support Platform over there! That would be greatly appreciated!

Ha! I missed the announcement here and only saw the one on the rapidweavercommunity forum. Bought it at the 50% discount and first impressions were good. Second impressions, after watching the video, reading some of the documentation and playing around with it, are even better.

There are bound to be some snags, as it is version 1.0.0, but this is a very promising start. IMHO of course.

1 Like

Hi all, for anyone interested, finally had some time to play with Platform. Very easy to use as SteveB stated earlier. There were a couple of themes i wanted to see if I could recreate using just the Platform stacks. I recreated the 4 desktop landing pages in a couple of hours (i’ll try to upload them when i have time). I do have some questions for those who have used Platform.

Using the Hero stack - how do you vertically center content, there are drop areas within the stack but when using the middle one it would still align towards the top had to play with padding to get it towards the center
Button stack, there’s a default 1 px border, did not see any options to adjust/remove, also could some padding options be added for the button copy?
Column stack - is there a way to control the gutter space between the columns?
Content stack - i was not able to change the color always stayed black, the Title stack worked fine when you adjusted colors.
Is there a way you can add option to apply a background image to a site within the Platform preferences?

Overall a good experience, especially for the intro price it was offered.

3 Likes

@Anon: Thank you for the quick review. I would like to answer your questions quickly but bear with me as I am inserting a few screen shots…

Hero Stack:
The standard behaviour is as you describe it. However, you can switch to “Full Height Hero”, which creates three drop zones:

• Top - which will always be at the top of the hero stack
  • Middle - which will always be vertically centered
  • Bottom - which will always be at the bottom

You can also change the size of the hero stack using the Size switch

Button:
Thanks for pointing this out, I will include an option to change/remove this in the next build

Column Stack:
Yes, there is a way to do this. Each column has a width and an offset, which is always added to the left of the column. By adjusting both, you can work with gutter space between columns, see screen shot where there is a 2 unit gutter left then a 3 unit column, followed by a 2 unit gutter which in turn is followed by a 3 unit column followed by a 2 unit gutter (all in all 12 units)

Content Stack:
Yes, you can change (Background) Color (labelled “Color”) as well as text color, see screen shot (or did you mean something else?)

Background image in Preferences:
Not implemented yet but will come - similar to Hero and Section

I hope I got your questions, otherwise drop me a PM!

Best regards,
J.

3 Likes

Not for me. Asuming I uderstand what you mean.

Button, try this…

.button {     

border: 0px;
padding: 10px 20px 10px 20px;
}

If that doesn’t work, try adding the !important to either. (Adjust the padding ad required).

Gutter… Doing the empty col thing to adjust gutters is a bit rubbish IMO. Being able to adjust a regular gutter would be nice. Although I’d say really, if you want to control gutters you really should be using a grid stack. As a work-around Add a regular Stacks single column stack to each of the column stacks within the Platform column, and apply some margin to these as required. This image should explain it…

The content stack works as expected for me. Can’t help on that one.

For a background image, one solution is to add a container stack to the page, add a background image to it, then put all the page stacks inside it.

Not the most efficient way to do things, as the big background image will get loaded into each page afresh, but it’ll work. Have a look for a stack that can apply a warehouse background image if you want to streamline things a bit.

Hope that lot helps.

Thank you SteveB and @juergenbarth I will try again later, thanks for the tips!

And here a demo with Poster Stack: https://posterdemo.instacks.com/platform/

3 Likes