wooCommerce shop inside RW seems possible with Axyn WP stack

Yesterday I tried to integrate a wooCommerce Shop inside a RapidWeaver project utilizing Axyns WP Embed stack (only for testing purposes). And I can tell you it worked flawlessly! :-) You can have a look at the test-installation here:

I have only very little experience in working with WordPress or wooCommerce. So in my example the blog sidebar on the right would have to be hidden (no idea how I can do that) and the breadcrumb at the top should be removed. But you get the idea… ;-)

2 Likes

That’s good to know.

1 Like

@wolf You can change both to “off” in the Blocksy options. Go to Blocksy (WP sidebar). Hard to describe the further steps … but the point is Blocksy makes it easy to adjust these settings. I’m just assuming you are using the Blocksy theme.

Thanks for providing this example!

1 Like

Yes this is amazing and see the flawless integration, there is no way to tell that this is not a part of the page.

2 Likes

@mitchellm In my test-installation I’m using the ‘Storefront’ theme from wooCommerce. At least I found a way to deactivate the widgets in the sidebar…

1 Like

Thanks @wolf for providing the test sample. It shows how easy it’s to integrate Wordpress into RW with the WP Embed Stacks.

When you have a chance try the Blocksy theme. It’s one of the few free themes that gives you a lot of customization options.

Cheers,

Ricardo

1 Like

@wolf Ditto what @Ricardo writes. Blocksy is quite wonderful. Plus others can provide help regarding WP details if you are using a theme that we know already works well with WP Embed.

3 Likes

Thank you both @Ricardo and @mitchellm! I have now switched to the Blocksy theme, which is really nice and adjustable. :-) WordPress-Test :: WOLF websolutions GmbH

1 Like

You could also remove the WP navigation bar and create direct links in the RW navigation for a completely seamless integration. I am not familiar with the Blocksy theme but you could certainly do this with Elementor and a blank Elementor theme.

This is masively powerful stuff.

1 Like

Yes, WP navigation bar also easy to hide/delete in Blocksy. Go to Blocksy > Header Options > Elements and then delete the “things” that are there:

@Ricardo … but this is reminding me … would the WP search function work when imported (at least for imported posts) in RW? I’m guessing not and that it also needs to be disabled from the Header area. But if the search functionality would still work … well that would be a key bonus. Setting up searches in WP is so easy.

1 Like

Thanks for these tips, just made some adjustments accordingly. Regarding the wooCommerce search function it seems to work just fine.

@wolf That’s great to hear about search functionality. Provides a great reason to use the WP stack if you have lots of content and search would be useful. Sooooooo easy to set up in WP.

BTW, Blocksy will also let you style the “cards” displayed for the results of a search. In essence a search returns a special kind of category page.

Quick question: How does someone link to an item in a store that is imported into RW? With no unique URL for each item isn’t that also going to mean zero search rankings?

Or am I missing something?

Was wondering as well, mainly for links or sharing buttons etc. within the WP page do links have to be manually prefixed with the correct RW page instead of the WP page? Or is there some clever bit like htaccess which sends visitors to the correct RW page?

Hm, I think the items actually do have a unique link. Try this for example:

The WP search will definitely work in the WP Embed Stack, and the results will show in the same frame where you started the search.

All WP links will work without modification, and by default will display in the same frame.

However, when you want to refer to a link that for example navigates another page in your RW project, you must specify the parent of the frame. Basically just add target="_parent"to the link.

As for @steveb question about, about the unique URL. In fact, everything in the wordpress site has a unique URL, as you can directly navigate to everything embed with the WP Embed Stack. Additionally, the bots should also crawl and read the URL referred to in the the body of the RW page.

Button same thing as links, if they are linking to anything in the WP site, they need no modification. However if referring to something outside of the Wordpress content, the should also have the target="_parent"added to the link.

Oh, here is an example of the search at work: KOKOKHAN ESSENTIAL OILS - Our blog

4 Likes

@Ricardo Thanks. Search works great in your example. So nice to be able to take advantage of WP for what it does best, while still maintaining RW for what it does uniquely well.

3 Likes

Thanks Mathew,

That was exactly my design idea, keep the best of each platform.
BTW this discussion was quite helpful, so I added additional notes on the product page. Let me know if I need to change the wording to make it clearer.

Cheers,

Ricardo

2 Likes

@Ricardo and others: Just throwing this in but there’s a plugin many folks who love Markdown might be insterested in. It’s called Import Markdown and is free. It will import a TXT or MD document as a post or page (up to you). There’s finishing work to be done (add category, add featured image) but this is a very quick and effficient way to bring in content.

With WP you only need to give the URL link to a video to embed the video on your post/page. The “trick” is after importing a TXT file, you will be taken to the post in WP Gutenberg blocks. There will be a option there to “convert to blocks” the post or page. Click that “convert” button and the video links will be correctly sized and embedded into the post.

For me it’s easier to write in markdown first. I realize this may not apply to all folks or clients. But for those who do like markdown, this a hugely simple plugin.

1 Like

Since some here are using Blocksy, this seems worth sharing. Stackable Pro is on AppSumo. Many of Blocksy’s starter sites are built with Stackable blocks. When using Blocksy or a Blocksy Pro, Stackable is an excellent companion. Not an affiliate link.

3 Likes